Welcome to the Disability Rights Bar Association
The Disability Rights Bar Association (formerly the Association of Disability Rights Counsel) was started by a group of disability counsel, law professors, legal nonprofits and advocacy groups who share a commitment to effective legal representation of individuals with disabilities.
The DRBA is an online network of attorneys who specialize in disability civil rights law. Through the DRBA, disability rights attorneys share information and strategies, coordinate litigation and other legal representation strategies, and mentor lawyers and law students who are new to disability rights practice. The DRBA helps lawyers and individuals with disabilities pursue better cases, make more effective arguments, and understand developments in disability rights law and practice.
Members of DRBA commonly believe that:
- The fundamental civil rights of people with disabilities are inadequately represented in our society.
- Litigation and other legal advocacy strategies play a highly effective and necessary role in enforcing and advancing the rights of people with disabilities.
- Networking and collaboration among attorneys who represent people with disabilities in such litigation and other legal advocacy strategies will enhance the effectiveness of the overall legal services such attorneys provide.
- Mentoring attorneys and law students who are new to the practice of disability rights law will improve access for people with disabilities to all aspects of our society.
The DRBA is established for the following purposes:
- To advance and enforce the rights of people with disabilities in all spheres of life through the use of litigation and other legal advocacy strategies.
- To support, promote and facilitate the practice of disability rights law by
- Disseminating information regarding disability law, advocacy and civil rights enforcement,
- Exchanging strategies concerning disability rights cases.
- Notifying DRBA members about developments in disability rights cases and developments in disability law.
- To mentor law students, new practitioners and others to promote high standards.
- To exchange resources such as briefs, forms, case law and expert rating systems.
To advance these objectives, DRBA will engage in the following activities, among others:
- Operating a listserv for exclusive use of DRBA members.
- Hosting a document bank and other resources for exclusive use of DRBA members.
- Operating a website providing information on disability rights law and legal advocacy strategies.
- Holding conferences on disability law, litigation and other legal advocacy strategies.
- Filing amicus briefs on behalf of DRBA to support cases that enforce and promote the rights of people with disabilities.
- Coordinating litigation and other legal representation strategies.
- Offering educational materials on disability rights law, litigation and other legal advocacy strategies.
- Mentoring law students and lawyers who are new to disability rights law practice.